Sunday, February 21, 2010

Doing Laundry the Old Fashioned Way, Part One

Dryer energy use is one of the reasons I wanted to start this blog. Apparently, next to your refrigerator, the dryer is the second largest consumer of electricity in a household for appliances. With SC G and E proposing a 10% rate increase here in Charleston, using a dryer can hit the pocketbook as well as the environment.

For a year I have been talking about getting a clothesline. Because I am a renter, I want a clothesline that I can take with me to the next spot. Because I am lazy, I need the clothesline to add little more work than the dryer already in the utility room. Because I might move to someplace with an ordinance against line drying, I want a clothesline that can easily be out of sight. With those requirements, I believe I have found my outdoor clothesline system:These rotary clotheslines allow you to stand in one place, can be folded up like an umbrella, and can be easily moved to a new location. Some are built for outdoor use only and some are for both indoor/outdoor use.

Next step, locating a sturdy, affordable version and actually purchasing and installing it. That will be part two of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment