Thursday, July 22, 2010

Crafty Money Management

Heading back to school, I am a little worried about sticking to a budget. At this point, I usually intuitively know if I am overspending or on target with my current income. But cutting my income drastically has me worried I may continue to spend without having the income to back it up. So I have decided to switch to a cash only envelope system, a la Dave Ramsey. Its where you take cash for all of your non-fixed expenses (groceries, gas, repairs, etc.) for a given pay period and put it in separate envelopes. When the money in a particular envelope is gone, it is gone until the next pay period. This process eliminates outspending your income.

I set up my system tonight with paper envelopes and a little plastic holder for the envelopes. I thought I was so smooth. Then I went and found this...



I love this as a sewing project! It will make use of the odd scraps I have started collecting from other sewing projects. And I can manage to avoid using zippers, my least favorite aspect of sewing to date.

Now, to figure out how to repurpose the plastic holder I already have...

No comments:

Post a Comment