Sunday, January 10, 2010

Saying Goodbye to Shampoo?


For Christmas, my sister got me this awesome shampoo from her hairdresser in New York (http://www.amazonbeautysecret.com/), with oil from the Rahua nut from the Ecuadorian part of the Amazon. I had visited her earlier that year, when she told me why she went to her hairdresser. He has worked with the people in this part of the Amazon to develop a sustainable, cottage industry in harvesting the Rahua nut at a fair wage for his product line. And cuts hair in New York. Amazing!

She told me how her hair was greasy for the first 2 or 3 weeks, but after that it stopped being greasy. Given that I have to wash my hair every day because it is so greasy, I was definitely interested. I read the label and saw that it did not have sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) or other types of surfactants. I knew that these were the reason for my needing to wash my hair every day, as they strip your hair of its natural oil, and causing it (some say) to need to produce more. However, in the past, when I've used Dr. Bronner's or other natural shampoos, the oil in my hair has built up to where I feel like I have a helmet on my head.

I've been using this shampoo for 2 weeks at this point, and I definitely feel like my hair looks better on the day that I have washed it. The second day, it is still greasy, but not so bad. I am looking forward to getting through this beginning period.
However, maybe I don't even need to shampoo at all. I saw an article on the Huffington Post about giving up shampoo entirely (here). It is one of those things that we have invented for modern life that maybe we never needed. Some people mentioned in the article and linked articles haven't washed their hair in 10 years - and it looks just like my hair. Interesting, but I think I'll most likely be in the "less" rather than "no" shampoo camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment