Sunday, March 7, 2010

Natural Hair Dye


Like my mother, my hair starting showing gray while I was still in college. When I was in the Peace Corps, my Salvadoran boss used to say, "Ah ha, Michelle, !tiene sus ganas!", pointing at my hair. "Ganas" literally meanings earnings, but in this context means I am showing my gray hair (earnings, age). A few years ago, I tried some semi-disastrous (i.e., totally fake looking) home hair dye. After two or three applications, I then swore I would never dye my hair again. I didn't want to spend money at the salon, I didn't want the ugly home colors, and I didn't want the cancer-linked chemicals on my head or going down the drain. Instead, I cut bangs to hide the gray over my forehead. But, I have anxiously watched the gray spreading.

I have seen henna in Whole Foods, Earth Fare, etc., for a while, but I had thought they wouldn't cover the gray. Still, it seemed like it could be fun to try, with little environmental or personal repercussions.

So, yesterday, I bought Surya Henna powder in Ash Brown - which is a golden, rather than red base. (After further researching, I've learned that it means there are other herbs in there besides henna - likely, cassia.) I made a paste out of this powder, honey, and water, and applied it to my hair for 20 minutes, per the instructions. Afterward, my hair smelled like a plant and had a more golden sheen, although it didn't cover my gray. My gray does look more like highlights, though.

At this point, I have started obsessively reading about henna online and learning more about purity levels, colors, time to leave on, etc. I like the idea of trying this out because it is fun, looks like a normal hair color, and is natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment